Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Water Damage?

Yes, homeowners insurance should cover property damages when the water damage involves the below incidents. If you experience property damage as a result of the below, it’s likely your homeowners insurance policy covers damages:

  • Sudden and accidental leaks that occur in less than 2 weeks
  • Burst pipes
  • Washing machine leaks
  • Refrigerator leaks
  • Garbage disposal leaks
  • Wind-driven rain (including hail storms, however, rain alone is typically not covered)
  • Earthquakes (in some areas this is covered, but is typically sold as a separate policy)
  • Slab leaks (State Farm is the only carrier that excludes slab leaks)

However, just because your insurance coverage includes the above incidents doesn’t mean your insurance company will instantly pay for damages. In many cases, they will look for every reason not to pay and find you responsible.

Do You Need a Public Adjuster

Is Flood Damage Considered Water Damage?

No. Flood damage is different than water damage and is not typically covered under most homeowners insurance policies. Flood damage is defined as occuring when there is excessive water on land that would otherwise be considered dry.

A separate flood insurance policy should be purchased. You can purchase flood insurance through either a private insurance group or the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

Other Types of Property Damage Not Covered Under Homeowner’s Insurance:

  • Flood Damage: As mentioned above, flood damage is not covered under homeowners insurance and is not the same as water damage.
  • Gradual Damage: Many insurance policies will not cover issues that have been existing for more than 14 days. For example, if you have a pipe burst as a result of old pipes that you did not replace, the insurance provider might find you at fault for neglecting to take care of your pipes and not covering the costs for damages.
  • Source of Damage: Most insurance policies do not cover the source of the damage. For example, if your home has water damage that was caused by a broken dishwasher, the costs of replacing the dishwasher would not be covered under the policy.

What To Do If You Experience Water Damage

1. Collect Evidence of Damaged Property
If you’ve experienced water damage, your first step should be to gather proof of any property damage. Capturing photos and videos is the most effective method for recording the extent of the damage. Be sure to include shots or footage of the flooring as well.

It’s also important to keep any damaged items as evidence for your property damage claims. This includes filtration systems, pipes, garbage disposals, water heaters, washing machines, or any other household devices that have been affected.

2. Call a Licensed Plumber

The incident report filed by a plumber will serve as valuable supplementary evidence for your insurance claim. This report will provide a detailed account of the leak’s duration and its source. It’s essential to take fast action and call a plumber at the first sign of water damage since insurance providers typically do not cover leaks that exist for more than 14 days.

3. Contact a Licensed Public Adjuster

Filing water damage claims can become a daunting process, especially if it’s your first time doing so. Adding to the complexity, insurance companies often attempt to avoid covering water damage expenses. Once you’ve submitted a claim, the initial step your insurance provider takes is what they refer to as “field scoping.” This involves sending out a claims adjuster, hired by them, to investigate the root cause of the damage and assess what they deem necessary for replacement. This leaves policyholders like you with unresolved water damage issues that the insurance company doesn’t want to reimburse within your claim.

By contacting a licensed public adjuster, you’ll have someone advocating for you and helping you during the entire claims process. They are dedicated to assisting you in compiling compelling evidence to support your claim and communicating on your behalf to the insurance company, ensuring you receive the maximum settlement you deserve.

Do You Need a Public Adjuster?

Licensed public adjusters can be extremely helpful if you have experienced water damage within your home. The below scenarios are two of the more common reasons why someone might hire a public adjuster:

  • You disagree with your insurance claims adjusters’ evaluation of the water damage that was done
  • You are facing significant damage, potentially making the insurance claim difficult

Experienced public insurance adjusters will help gather any data and proof that could help to restore your home and will work to defend your claim. But not just any public insurance adjuster will do - it’s important to choose a public adjuster who has years of experience in dealing with insurance companies. They will be able to effectively speak with the insurance company about your claim, simplify the claims process, and ultimately get you the payout you need for repairs.

Do You Need a Public Adjuster

How Excel Adjusters Can Help With Your Water Damage Claim

At Excel Adjusters, our goal is to ensure your rights are upheld during the water damage process and maximize your payout. If you experience water damage, we will accompany the field insurance adjuster during the field scoping process and help you negotiate a fair payout for damages that should be covered under your standard homeowners insurance policy.

We are not provided by the insurance company, making us fully independent and able to prioritize your needs as the policyholder.

We’ll help to:

Notify Your Insurance Provider

Most homeowners lack experience in water damage claims, and the claims process can be extremely complicated. A licensed public adjuster can communicate with an insurance agent on your behalf and assist with all paperwork.

Maximize Your Payouts

As your licensed public adjuster, we know how to speak with insurance carriers about water damage claims, personal property coverage, and dwelling coverage. We do everything in our power to get you the money you need. Additionally, most contractors and floor experts are not licensed by the Department of Insurance and therefore are not legally allowed to represent you on your water damage public claim.

Guide You Through the Water Damage Claim Process

We are there to support you during the entire claims process – this includes advising you and negotiating payouts with your insurance company. We only charge a small percentage based on what we settle for with your insurance. There are no upfront costs to you, making it affordable to get the help you need.

Assist with Every Stage of Your Water Damage or Flood Claim

Whether you’re at the beginning of filing a water or flood damage claim, or several weeks into the process, we can help.

If your insurance company is refusing to cover ALE or Loss of Use expenses, we can work with your insurance company in an attempt to get you reimbursed for any living costs you incurred in your temporary home.

Sometimes insurance companies will try to cut corners in your repairs by doing a poor repair job to your floors, hiring cheap damage restoration companies, and failing to remove cabinets for drying when the drywall has been damaged. If you are not happy with the repair of your hardwood floors, we can help negotiate with your insurance company in order to get the “like-for-like” standard outlined in your policy. Also known as the “like kind and quality,” if your insurance policy includes these terms, you are entitled to receive a payout from your insurance company that covers the entire cost to replace items of the same quality as what you previously owned. Again, some insurance policies cover replacement costs, while others might not cover a replacement cost, so each situation is unique to your specific policy.

If your water damage restoration insurance claim has been denied, we can speak with your insurance company and provide evidence and reasoning as to why your water or flood damage claim should be covered by your carrier.

Water Damage or Flood Claim

If you’ve experienced water damage and need to file a claim, we can help with the water damage insurance claim process.

happy meeting

Call:(213) 800-3333
Skip to content